You were on the run from things far too painful to process at that point in time. You needed love, and you needed it desperately. You would run to anything that could fill your mind with nothing but happiness, whether that be a bowl of ice cream or a room full of kittens at the local animal shelter. You almost didn’t know any better. The pain that demanded to be felt fell among the other obligations, like homework due at midnight. The eagerness in your spirit was crushed under the weight of responsibility that came from passing that finance class. The void that was deeply rooted in your heart could not be filled with ice cream or kittens.
Love, and I mean true love had never fallen easily in your lap, except this time. The way he cradled your face when he swooped in to touch your lips to his was more romantic than any movie you’ve ever seen in your life. He dropped everything to come to your rescue, like a real-life superhero. His availability and calming sense of spirit comforted you beyond any earthly understanding. The green in his eyes touched your soul like no other. The way he treated you outweighed the way he talked to you for once in your life, and it never felt more meant-to-be than it did at that time.
The truth is that you put so much of your soul and yourself into this person, that it could have never worked. You thought you had never experienced true love, but it was there the entire time, waiting for you, pursuing you, & loving you. It blessed you and gave you mercy even while you ignored its existence. Dear girl there is love better than any of the things you can find in the purest, most honest, caring boy. His name is Jesus.
That boy may have comforted you, but Jesus can heal you.
- “He heals the wounds of every shattered heart.” – Psalm 147:3 (TPT)
That boy may have touched you like no other, but God reaches down to grab us.
- “He reached down from high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.” – Psalm 18:16 (NIV)
That boy may have come to your rescue, but Jesus died for you, and God SAVED you.
- “We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers & sisters.” – 1 John 3:16 (NLT)
That boy may have been attractive, but Jesus looks at his heart, and yours too.
- “But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” – 1 Samuel 16:7 (NIV)
Your relationship with God is more meant-to-be than any other relationship you can have here on earth.
- “See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.” – 1 John 3:1 (ESV)
You see, while that boy took your breath away, you lost sight of the One who gave you breath (Isaiah 42:5). While you were dancing in his arms, you forgot who directs your steps (Proverbs 16:9). That’s the problem with diving too deep; no matter how much happiness and joy we think we have in a season, none of it matters until we remember where our joy is made complete.
- Read John 15:1-17
- Reflect on a time when you felt happy. Did you give any credit to God, or was it too easy in that season to take a moment to thank Him?
- If you have made something/someone an idol in your life, confess it to God now, and run back to Him. He’s waiting for you. He’s chasing you. He’s pursuing you. He gives you His whole heart.